Monday, January 13, 2014

Angel

Saturday afternoon we all attended Don Broughton's memorial. My boys have been to several funerals so thankfully they are OK with watching friends and family cry and celebrate the life of a loved one. I want them to understand that death is a natural part of life.

The stories that are shared at funerals are heartwarming and from my experience, they tend to represent the best of who that person was. I loved hearing about Don's life. Don was Jenna and Mike's Grandfather and of course, Mama Sue's Dad. I've known their family for as long as I have been dating Pedar--which will be 18 years this September. Don loved life. He loved his wife, his children and his grandchildren. He loved people, travel and adventure. He had his share of heartache and struggle, but he always chose to be positive and stay busy. He never met a stranger, he always made a friend.

The Pastor said he thought Don could have been an action figure, "Dynamo Don!" We will all miss his voice, the sparkle in his eyes and his stories. 

At some point during the service, I looked over at Casey and he was quietly drawing an angel on the front of the program. I have always told Casey that when a loved one dies, they can now help look after the family and friends on earth. I believe that Don will be looking out for his loved ones and helping them find joy and adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment