Monday, March 3, 2014

Mommies have tantrums too

Yesterday,  after Pedar and Casey left to ski,  Erik was on me, like white on rice, all day, begging me to take him to, "Fairy Town." He likes to leave out the "Tale" part. I told him we were going to help Melanie, then get baseball stuff, then groceries and then, if the weather was good, we would go to Fairy Town. So we did all those things and around 1:30 p.m. it started to rain, really hard. That was our Fairy Town time, so we were not going to be able to go. Erik was sad. I tried to cheer him up by painting outside. It helped for a while.

I left Erik out in the backyard to paint and kept on cleaning and doing laundry. I opened up all the windows in the house, I felt very relaxed and peaceful. Erik came into my bedroom and said, "Well, if we can't go to Fairy Town, can we go to Disneyland?" I had to force myself not to laugh. "No, honey. We can't go to Disneyland without your Dad and Casey. We'll have to plan that big trip for another time."

Erik started to cry. He was mad that things were not going his way. He was missing Casey and he was mad that I didn't want to stop what I was doing to entertain him all afternoon. I snapped a bit at his temper tantrum and said, "Erik, no more computer, no more TV. Go in your room and play with your toys or draw a picture or take a NAP!" He looked at me with an angry face and walked away into his room.

About ten minutes later I realized the house was REALLY quiet. I got worried. I had been scrubbing the shower and bathtub and hadn't checked on him. I went into his room and saw a lump under his covers. His light was on and his window was wide open. I lifted up his covers and found him fast asleep. He had listened to me!!!

I felt bad that I had snapped at him. I could just tell he was really tired, but I hadn't expected him to do what I asked. Oh my goodness. I was amazed and so happy.

Sometimes we all just need a nap. Next time, I will take one too.

1 comment:

  1. Man I wish Charlie would take my nap advice. He's already stopped napping :( glad Eric got what he needed!

    ReplyDelete