Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Rum Cake

My neighbor Lori gave me a piece of this rum cake about 13 years ago. I'm not a cake person, I prefer pie. I had never had cake that was so damn yummy. I love this cake. I begged for the recipe and she gave it to me. Not only did Lori give me the recipe, she baked me another cake just for me and left it on my doorstep with the recipe. What a love!

Anyways, I've made this cake sooo many times I don't need the recipe anymore, but I thought I would share it with you because it is that good and it is easy! The Pioneer Woman has helped me learn how to bake from scratch, but this cake is sooo easy, why bother?
Start with a bundt pan and spray it heavy with PAM baking spray
Cake mix: 1 box super moist yellow cake, 1 small package of jell-o chocolate pudding mix (do not make, just pour into bowl) 1/2 cup oil, 1 cup water and 3 eggs.
1/2 cup of chopped nuts (your choice) + 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips, mix nuts and chocolate chips in bowl and spread on bottom of bundt pan.
The bottom of pan should look like this after putting nuts and chips in!
Mix the batter and pour over the nuts and chips, bake at 325 for 1 hour
This is the magic for the inside of the cake: 1 cup of butter (yes 2 sticks), 3 oz of rum and 1 cup of sugar
When the cake has only had 5 minutes left, go ahead and put ingredients on stove top and melt until it is a nice syrup. Do not cook too hot or too fast, it will turn into candy.
Pour butter/rum/sugar mixture into large measuring cup
Using a chopstick, poke holes into the bottom of the cake, just poke away!!
Pour the mixture into the cake, don't go too fast, let the cake absorb the syrup. Let the cake cool for about 25 minutes and then flip the cake onto its serving plate
All done! It is ready to enjoy!! Yummy!!

Rum Cake
1 box super moist yellow cake
1 small package choc pudding (Just pour into bowl, do not make!)
1/2 cup oil
1 cup water
3 eggs

Spray bundt pan with PAM baking spray
Chop up 1/2 cup of pecans and use 1/2 cup of mini choc chips, mix nuts and chips and pour into bundt pan, this creates the top of your yummy cake. Pour cake mixture over nuts and chips

Bake at 325 for 1 hour

Rum Glaze
1 cup of butter
1 cup of sugar
3 oz of rum

When cake is almost done, put ingredients on stove top and melt into glaze. Do not get too hot to fast or cook to long or you will make candy! Take off heat once it is all melted.

Poke holes into bottom of cake using a chopstick. Pour glaze into cake, slowly letting cake absorb all of it. Let cake cool for about 25 minutes and flip cake onto serving plate.

 Make it for someone you love today!

No comments:

Post a Comment