Thursday, May 1, 2014

Sassafrass

So, last night I bit Pedar's head off. Thankfully, it grew back. He took out a bottle of crystal geyser from the fridge and opened it and realized that it was flat. I have a problem with screwing lids on tight. Pedar said something like, "I don't want it anyway, its lost all of its fizz." I said something like,"Don't be so passive, if you're pissed at me for not tightening the lid, just say it." Of course, this is around 8:30 p.m. at night, we haven't finished half of the stuff we need to, the boys are still awake and we're stressed about a lot of projects, money, work, kid stuff, you name it--last night just sucked.

Pedar looks at me and says, "OK, I'll tell you if I'm annoyed." I was thrilled. "Good, because I like it when you're direct. I don't want to have to sort through sarcasm to understand what you're trying to convey. Just tell me. I can take it."

After an hour or so-- the boys finally are in bed, we are on the couch together and I said, "You know, there a lot of things I could choose to be irritated about and I let them go because I know you mean really well. Why even bring up the water bottle? Does it matter?"

"No." Pedar said. "I don't know why I made that snarky comment." 

When we are overtired and overwhelmed, we are weaker and say unloving things or pick a fight when we don't need to. The scary thing about parenting is that we are tired and overwhelmed a lot, most days we don't have any time to relax, we are on, always. There are some days I just want to sit in my car and sleep. We have to be nice to one another. We have to get into a habit of being loving and patient and let a lot of crap go.


No comments:

Post a Comment