Friday, June 13, 2014

Need a pep talk? I do!

It may come as a surprise to you, but I can be really stubborn. I am not proud of the way I have handled some sticky relationship situations in my life. I have said and done things because I felt I was right, more right than the other person. But looking back, I had a part in the wrong and I wish I hadn't have been so stubborn. I wish I could have just been more ready to listen and be calm and create boundaries.

 “I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you.” ― Anthony Bourdain 

The older I get the more willing I am to hear the other side of a story. I want to take the time to examine what part I played in the relationships in my life that are rocky.  What did I do or say or not do or say that put us on this path? We all make decisions, consciously or unconsciously that create the dance we have with our partners, friends, family, co-workers and neighbors.


We don't have to agree to get along. We just have to be kind to one another. We have to be willing to listen and learn from one another.  We have to hear what the other person needs and try and give them that. Shouldn't we put the most energy in finding resolution, rather than standing our ground? 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment