Tuesday, August 19, 2014

What is your favorite "saying"?


I learned it from a manager I worked with at Bradshaw's family restaurant. There were many times when I was waiting tables when I would get completely overwhelmed with how many people needed me. I would want to run from the restaurant. My manager Saba, would look at me, see how stressed I was and say, "Make it happen, Nora!" He would make me figure out what had to be done first. He would make me ask for help, and if no one could help, and that happens a lot at a restaurant, he would tell me to just do it. And I would.

I learned so much from waiting tables. I learned about "full hands in and full hands out"--always picking items from tables and cleaning as you move through the restaurant. I still do this at home. I put things away when I see them left out. I clean the kitchen before I go to bed and clean up before I leave for work, so I don't come home to a dirty house. I also learned to always smile and be kind, no one wants a grumpy server. No one wants a grumpy employee period. Just do your job, work hard and give more than is expected.

There are a lot of times at work or at home when I don't want to do something and I find myself uttering, "Make it happen! Make it happen! Make it happen!"

So, thank you, Saba. Thank you for pushing me to get out of my own way. I don't want to waste time talking about what I don't think I can do and why. I just want to start and find ways to make it happen.


No comments:

Post a Comment