Thursday, May 14, 2015

Best, Brightest-- and Saddest

This article from the New York Times last month is a good read for all parents. Here is an excerpt:
 
"Many more children think about taking their own lives. According to a 2013 survey by the C.D.C., 17 percent of American high school students had considered suicide in the previous year. There is no single cause. He recommended lightening children’s schedules, limiting the number of times that they take the SAT, lessening the message that it’s Stanford or bust."

“I will never be neutral on this issue,” he wrote. “The ‘Koala Dad’ is the far better parent than the ‘Tiger Mom.’ ”
What he was saying — and what’s obvious, but warrants repeating — is that ushering children toward a bright future means getting them there in one piece. “Want the best for your child, not for your child to be the best.”

 We all want to be happy. "Social involvement, doing good for others, feeling and displaying gratitude, having a job or other activity that one pursues with passion, and setting goals for the future are among the behaviors that are associated with developing a happy approach to life," said  Dr. Ron Kaiser at The Mental Health Gym.

I have found that all the things I thought would provide happiness, like completing college, getting a job, being with the right person, being a certain weight, getting my hair done and having the perfect outfit doesn't automatically make my heart sing everyday. I have to work at it. I want my boys to know that being healthy helps a lot with the big happy. I want them to play, sleep, work and be helpful and kind. I want them to feel loved and give love to others. I want them to set goals and make them happen. I hope that will fill them with enough smiles to carry them up the next hill of crap. And if that doesn't work, I want them to search for what will work. What works for me may not work for them, but I want them to always be seeking adventure and delight.

 If we are not smiling, how can we help someone else smile? After all, isn't that why we are here? To help one another. To share our gifts and make a difference? I think so.

 



1 comment:

  1. Nora,
    Thank you for sharing your gifts with us. You certainly help! I'm feeling a little scared right now and reading your blog always helps!

    ReplyDelete