Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Downloading data, please hold momentarily



I have this habit that started back in college while studying Journalism. Every morning and really, throughout the entire day, I skim a lot of websites, but my favorites are the following:

I recently read this article about how a call to action at the end of every news story would be incredibly helpful and I found myself nodding my head hard in agreement. 

Mardra Sikora writes in her article, "Instead of carrying around the burden of the world's evils and difficulties, I wonder if it is possible to use the news (in any form, TV, written, blogs, all of it) to empower people to make changes and help in areas that are most important to them."

Yes, Mardra. Thank you!

I have a huge crush on Mindy Kaling. This recent article she wrote about how to get killer confidence is so fantastic. I want every person struggling to read it, especially young women. 

A young woman asked her this question, "Mindy, where do you get your confidence? Because I feel like I used to have it when I was younger but now I don't." 

Mindy felt like she didn't answer as well as she should have, so she wrote this article in hopes that this young woman would read it. She ended the article with the response she wished she had given, "Here's how I think you can get your confidence back, kid: Work hard, know your shit, show your shit, and then feel entitled. Listen to no one except the two smartest and kindest adults you know, and that doesn't always mean your parents. If you do that, you will be fine."

I love you, Mindy. Thank you!


My confidence has been shaken these last few months. Taking on this new gig, where I don't have all the skills and training that I wish I had at this very moment, has me wishing for a brain implant on the daily. 

Someday I will be a
WordPress/HootSuite/Videomaking/Storytelling/Digital Marketing superhero. But today, I am inch-worming along. I am researching, studying and making plans. I am trying. It would be very easy to find something less challenging. There is an evil voice in my head that says, "You're not as quick as you used to be. There are a ton of twenty-year-old's that know how to do this." 

Yeah, maybe they do know how to do a lot of things I need to be doing, and maybe they would work a little faster, but I know plenty too. And soon, I'll know this stuff as well.

So, shut up evil voice, I've got work to do. 




1 comment:

  1. Thank you for writing this post for me today, Nora!

    ReplyDelete