Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Kindness

Sunday night we were all tired. We stayed up late Saturday having fun with friends. We worked outside in the heat on Sunday most of the day. I wanted to be done parenting, feeding, preparing and cleaning. But I wasn't done. I was cleaning up dinner and making lunches. Casey sat down with some cookies and milk at the table and seconds later the milk was everywhere.  I didn't yell. I told Casey to grab a towel and start cleaning up. But I was breathing hard and visibly upset. 

Erik, who had been somewhere in the back of the house, came out, saw me and said, "Are you frustrated Mom?"  I told him, yes, I was frustrated, but not at Casey or anyone. I was just upset at the mess and I was tired. Erik walked over  and hugged me and told me it was going to be OK.

Erik was right. I found some energy in my reserves and read to Casey for a bit. It was good for us to have a cuddle and a good read. 

We can respond with love and kindness. We just have to practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment